Silk scarves, jewellery, hand bags, shoes…. where would we be without accessories?!
Lesson Number 5 is…
CREATE INDIVIDUAL STYLE WITH ACCESSORIES
Find your base – your “uniform” – your trusted pieces and build on top of them to add flair, nod your head at trends and add a dash of wow!
You could dress 5 ladies in the same black dress and make completely different looks from different accessories.
Accessories can also take a look from day to night and vice versa (accessories can save you from the walk of shame ladies). Or from a smart office look, to a more casual look.
Think about accessorising like you would interior design: You wouldn’t repaint and re-floor your house every season. You probably wouldn’t change the furniture much either, but you might swap around some pictures, re-cover some cushions and buy some new ornaments to re-fresh the look of your home. Use your fashion accessories to re-fresh your look.
Just be careful to apply the same rules to your accessories as you do to the rest of your wardrobe:
1. Only buy something if you LOVE it.
2. Make sure they fit your style personality, figure/face shape and work with your existing wardrobe.
3. Buy the best you can afford. Investing in a FENDI baguette might cost the same as 100 New Look bags… but you can almost guarantee it’ll look 1,000 times better (not always, use your newly trained discerning eye…)
4. Care for your accessories. Store them properly, clean them regularly (I use baby wipes on shoes and bags).
5. Be prepared to edit out accessories that no longer have the oompf factor.
Now – tell me, what is your favourite fashion accessory?